Thursday 19 June 2014

Who's not been washing??

Washing brushes guys! Of course I wouldn't accuse you of being unclean!
Yes, I know, washing brushes is such a bore of a chore (not sure which chore isn't a bore mind), but we must all do it. I am definitely not claiming to know the 'right' way to clean brushes, but I thought i'd share my method with you guys. I've been washing my brushes like this for the past two years, and i'm yet to have to get rid of a brush so I guess its doing all right?
There are lots of fancy brush cleansers on the market sold by most makeup brands, but I can think of soooo many better ways to spend that money, because they sure don't come dirt cheap, so here is my cheap and cheerful method:


1. First things first you'll need some baby shampoo, olive oil (extra virgin works best but any is good), kitchen roll, a small pot/dish, and of course your dirty brushes.
2. Grab a piece of kitchen roll and fold twice into a square and then pour a dribble of olive oil on the square, next grab a brush and swirl it round the kitchen roll and lots of makeup should come off the brush. This process gets rid of a big layer of makeup and the olive oil acts as a sort of conditioner for your brushes.
When one side of the kitchen roll gets dirty just flip it over and/or fold it inside out, the olive olive oil should seep through the kitchen roll so you'll only need to have poured it once or twice per sheet. For all my brushes I used around three sheets.
3. Next comes the messy part, you'll need to situate yourself at a sink. Pour a generous amount of baby shampoo into the dish and then wet your first brush and dip it into the shampoo. Swirl the brush on your hand to work up a lather and then rinse it. You'll need to apply shampoo a number of times to get rid of all the makeup, you know the brush is clean when the water squeezed from the hair is clear.
4. Finally just lie your brushes fairly spread apart on either kitchen roll or a towel (the former is better), and let them dry, remembering to move them round as the towel/kitchen roll will get damp. Also remember to reshape the brushes before you leave them to dry!

Voila! you should have lovely clean brushes!
I would advise that when it comes to the shampoo stage you wash the small brushes first as they can get rather tiring and tedious, and you don't want that towards the end!!
I hope this gave you guys some help, and works out for you too!


Noni xx

No comments:

Post a Comment